Monday, February 15, 2016

IUI 1 - Go

This post may be somewhat premature as I'm still waiting to hear the results of my blood test from the clinic this morning to let me know for sure that I can go ahead with the IUI this cycle.  Of course there is no reason to think that my blood test will be anything other than normal.

This morning I cycled over to the clinic for my 8:30am appointment.  First I was taken to have my blood drawn.  After trying in both arms and getting nothing, and after drinking two glasses of water, they decided to do my scan first and then see if the blood cold be drawn after.  The scan was quick and easy.  My uterine lining was thin as expected at the end of my period, and as desired.  The nurse also counted 6-7 follicles on my one ovary (the other is gone remember!).  So all looked in order.  After the scan, the nurse gave me the schedule for my Gonal-F injections.  Tonight and tomorrow I will do 150 and then it drops to 75/night.  My next scan is scheduled for Friday morning at 8:15.  I then have another scan scheduled for next Monday.  On Friday they will determine if I should go ahead with the Pregnyl or wait until Monday.  Since today is day 4 of my cycle, it's hard to say.  My cycle is often a bit longer (~32 days) but then this month it was 28 days. That makes this Friday day 8 and Monday day 11.  We'll see how it goes.

The nurse also gave me a little purple carry bag for the Gonal-F in case I need to inject while not at home.  I didn't get that last time.  It comes with a tube for needle disposal and everything.  Very thoughtful.

After the scan nurse I went back to the blood nurse.  I think she was a bit nervous after not getting anything from either arm so she called in a colleague to try for a third time.  Meanwhile, I drank another glass of water in the hopes of plumping my veins.  This nurse went for a deeper vein but funny enough I didn't feel it at all when it went in!  And she managed to get the blood.  So that was good.  Third time was a charm.  Although I hope that doesn't hold true for the cycle.

It's impossible not to start a cycle and be hopeful even though my chances of success are low low low.  I'm taking my vitamins, I'm off alcohol and caffeine.  I'm eating lots of vegetables and good foods.  I'm doing the best I can!  So of course I'm hoping for the chance that this might actually happen.  Which is a bit better than being utterly terrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment