Monday, May 9, 2016

IVF 1 - Day 1

My period is here!  My period is here!  Who knew it could be so exciting?  I'm really a bit shocked that it's come so late, but anywhere, here it is.  My last period was particularly early, so I guess it makes sense. On the plus side, this would make a day 17 collection on Wednesday the 25th which would be a good timing, unless they decide for a day 15 collection, but I'll be surprised if this is the case. At any rate, this means I start stims tomorrow night, 300 Gonal F.  I'm excited and also a bit nervous to see how this cycle ends up.  How many fresh and then mature eggs will I get?  How will the frozen eggs defrost?  Will any fertilize?

The only decision I need to make now is whether or not to do ICSI and assisted hatching with all of the eggs or some of the eggs, or what.  I put it out to the ladies on the forum and it was a unanimous opinion that I should go for both.  I have to have ICSI with any of the defrosted frozen eggs, but it's optional for the fresh.  Given my age, ICSI is apparently better.  Assisted hatching is again recommended for things that are being defrosted and for 'older' eggs.  I fit into both categories, so I think I'll just go for both.  I did watch a video of ICSI though and it looked a bit violent.  Apparently there is a risk of damage to the egg, but it doesn't seem conclusive how that weights out against the risk of not fertilizing at all.

One of my best friends is having a frozen embryo transfer this month on almost the same timing as myself which would be a bit crazy for us to be pregnant at the same time.  Of course she's trying for her third child after something like 20+ cycles of various fertility treatments (which gave her the first two), so a little bit different.  But it would be sort of fun for me and my friend to be identically pregnant.

Anyway, fingers crossed for this cycle.  I don't know why I'm allowing myself to feel optimistic given the odds, but I just can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment