Wednesday, May 18, 2016

IVF 1 - Day 10 second scan

I had a less positive experience at my scan this morning.  Mainly because my body was being very uncooperative and the nurse simply could not get a good view of the ovary no matter how much pushing and twisting of the wand, or pressing down on my belly, or even my going to the bathroom to see if that would make a difference!  The ultrasound stayed very murky and dark with occasional glimpses of the ovary but not a clear picture.

Because it wasn't a clear picture, it was impossible to clearly count how many follicles there were and at what size.  However, it seemed to be that there were 4-5 follicles around 14mm.  This is of course a decrease from the 7 that were visible on Monday.  Given that I tend to not get as many eggs as follicles, I'm now starting to steel myself for a disappointing result.  This then puts a lot of pressure on the frozen eggs and how they perform after defrosting.  Right now I feel like I'll be lucky to get 3 good eggs from this retrieval.  I hope this is not the case, but I'm nervous.

I'm sticking with the 300 Gonal F as they are clearly continuing to grow.  And it's still unclear if the egg retrieval will be Monday or Wednesday.  But I should know this by Friday because either they will want me to trigger over the weekend for a Monday collection, or come in for a scan Monday morning to confirm a trigger and Wednesday collection.  

My clinic only does collection on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I'm hoping the collection is on Wednesday because this will be the 'good' plan option.  If it's on Monday I'm going to be stressed that I'll need a three day transfer and have to be absent for the workshop I'm supposed to be running Thursday and Friday.  However, even though this is not ideal, the back up plan is in place for that, so not the end of the world, just not ideal.

I'm hoping for a better scan on Friday.  Also, I'm hoping for a better blood draw on Friday.  It took three tries today, even though we waited until after my scan (and the scan took a while).  So clearly it's not enough time to make a difference to my circulation if cycling is indeed the problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment